Friday, May 24, 2013

Gretchen's pioneer day

On Friday, May 17th, Gretchen's 4th grade class celebrated Pioneer Day.  They dressed like pioneers and spent the day learning skills, playing games and eating things the pioneers might. 

I was able to take half day off work and help in one of the "booths".  They broke the kids up into families of 10-12 kids.  Parents helped the kids move from area to area and organized any takeaways.  They made butter and ate scones.  They played marbles, leg wrestling and horseshoes.  They learned to quilt, sew on buttons and saw logs.  I helped the kids learn to sew on a button.  I did sneak away to take a photo of Gretchen at the log sawing booth, since they were close by. 

It was pretty chilly all day, so most kids were wearing coats, but they had really cute pioneer outfits.  Despite the weather it was a fun day for the kids.

No comments: