Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Aussie Meat Pie

When Aaron and I went to Australia last year, one of my favorite things we ate was an official meat pie.  While Aaron was in Frankfurt a few weeks ago, I decided to try to make one myself.  Here is my attempt compared with the picture I took in Australia of the meat pie I ate.  

My version

Australia's version
To make my version (since I didn't ask for the recipe), here's what I did:

In my crock pot, I put a cross rib roast, 1 onion, 1 packet Au Jus mix, 1 packet brown gravy mix and a little water.  I let that cook all day long.  About half way through the day, I added few diced carrots and potatoes.

About an hour before I was ready to eat, I cooked more potatoes and some frozen peas.  Both of these were mashed with butter and salt/pepper. 

Before getting the pie crust ready, I shredded the roast into smaller, more bite size pieces. 

I used frozen pie crust, but bought those cute little tins from the grocery store, so it looks like a real pot pie.  I used a knife and the pie tin to cut a bottom crust.  Then I filled the pie with the stuff from the crock pot and a few frozen whole peas, including a little of the yummy gravy that automatically made itself in the crock pot while everything cooked together.  

I added a top crust, marked each with an initial poked in the crust and popped them in the oven at 375 until they were golden brown.  

Now, to make it authentic, I topped Shelby's and mine with mashed potatoes and mashed peas and then a little more of the crock pot gravy.  

My mouth sang.  Talk about a heavenly meal.  Too bad it took a lot of time to make.  But it was well worth it!!





No comments: