Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Has anyone seen my uterus?

My uterus is missing and I'm wondering if anyone has seen it. I went to sleep and when I woke up, it was gone, and I was high on morphine.

Ha ha! Ok. Some of you may be offended by this, but I thought I'd put some humor into my latest adventure. Yes, I went in to have a hysterectomy (sp?) on 1/8. It was partly my choice. About a year and a half ago, I noticed that my female parts were not where they should be. When I went to the doctor I was saddened to learn that I had two choices. I could live with it or have my uterus removed. If I lived with it, it could potentially fall completely out, but as the doctor said, "some women just put it right back in again.". Yuck!

I spent a few months deciding what to do and was close to making the appointment to have surgery, when we found out our little miracle baby, Bailey, was on her way. So, now that she's here and I was already out on maternity leave, I decided to go forward with the surgery. My ovaries are still intact, so I don't have to take hormone replacements, which is great and I won't go into menopause until normal time as well.

The surgery went well. The doctor said he nicked a blood vessel in my tail bone area when he was sewing me back together and caused a hematoma (sp?). That was probably the most painful part of the whole thing. It took almost a week to heal and for me to feel comfortable again.

I have been restricted in that I can't drive or do any housework for 2 weeks. Some of you think that sounds wonderful, until you see what a house can look like after a week without being cleaned. Luckily, Aaron and Shelby have been taking care of meals, plus a yummy meal from Leslie on the day I came home, and a delicious Sunday dinner at Paul and Jody's house. Also, Aaron did the dishes a few times, and my nanny took care of the dishes most of the other times.

Leslie was my angel though and came over on Thursday last week to vacuum my house and clean my kitchen. She even took out the garbage, which was wonderful. I felt like a slug sitting on the couch the whole time, but I was so grateful when I saw how clean the house looked. She also brought us a roast for dinner that night. What an awesome person.

So these days, I'm feeling much better. It's been 12 days since the surgery and I'm almost 100%. I am still following doctors orders and not doing as much, though I have cooked dinner the past few nights and done the dishes for the past 4-5 days. Well, Bailey is waking up. I better run.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What???? I had no idea! You should have told us. I hope you are feeling better. Happy Birthday by the way!