Monday, June 3, 2013

The Chickens Have Left the Building

Aaron was nice enough to buy the chickens a new home.  Since the floors were being finished over the weekend, they needed to be outside.  They were also starting to jump out of their box and wander around the cement basement floors, leaving little poop presents everywhere.  So, they now are the proud owners of a 6 bedroom house with a very large dirt floored bathroom.  They love scratching at the ground and snuggling together under the main house.  I spent a considerable amount of time coaxing them into the coop (using freeze dried meal worms) so they didn't freeze the first night and become chicken-sicles.  Now they are experts at sleeping in their bedrooms and hanging out in the dirt all day long.   

Our cat is especially thrilled with the new location.  He sits in the weeds / grasses right behind the coop and every once in a while, usually when we're feeding them, he comes out and investigates.  He's taken swipes at them, but the chickens are well protected and pretty quick.  When they are bigger, I'm certain they won't have a problem defending themselves. 
 

I think Raja has investigated every centimeter of the coop, trying to find a weakness.  So far, he hasn't found one.  One of his favorite hang outs, is on top of the coop.  He pretends it is because he's sunning himself, but I know he's watching his prey.  :-)




No comments: